Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Caution: Inhaler may explode!

So as if there is some sort of competition to see who can have the "best" excuse for doping in pro cycling, I think this latest one really trumps "the EPO is for my dog";

German Ivonne Kraft has tested positive for the asthma medication Fenoterol after a cyclo-cross race on May 6. In a statement, Kraft said that her mother, who suffers from asthma, attended the race, and when she tried to use her medicated spray the bottle exploded and the cyclist must have inhaled the substance at that time.

Riiiiiiggggghhhhhht...

Anyway, this weekend was the Hugo road race. It's a long drive, and a pretty boring course, but I try to not complain, since single-loop, 85 mile road races are very few and far between. We showed up with 8 guys and a lot of horsepower, and the day worked out very well for us! Riding as a team, we let an Al's guy go about 2 miles into the race, who was quickly joined by Randy and Wes from our team, another Al's guy, and a Bagel Boy. That basically took care of the larger teams at the race. I worked with the guys to control the group, other than a quick trip back to help Nick back to the field after he flatted and got a wheel from support. And the break up the road quickly opened a huge gap. On the cross-wind section where the race always comes apart, I was stuck at the wrong end of the split. I rode through 6 or 8 different guys that got gapped, but then ran out of guys to catch. It was just the group ahead, that I wasn't going to make it up to. So I settled in with a group, and rode home. Bummer to be stuck in that group, but I did my work, and also revelled in the fact that the legs were continuing to feel better, from week to week. FINALLY. I still have a ways to go, but things are looking up a bit.

Yesterday I hit up the Bus Stop ride and it was a bit hairy. Fun enough, watching someone fall over trying to get clipped in at the start of the ride, less fun bouncing off knuckleheads trying to hold on to the back of the group. Luckily, I felt more like my old self last night, and was easily able to ride and work at the front, while dishing out a little bit of pain. It's fun drilling it on the front, or chasing down guys that are confused, and think they are going to be allowed to go up the road! Hopefully, I will continue to feel better, as the days tick past.

Today I might head out for the Boulder TT again, though I do only have the road bike for the test. It should still be fun. Right now it's all about getting the legs to a good place before Dead Dog this weekend up in Laramie. It's going to be a rough race, with lots of heavy hitters making the trip. Good times though...

I wasn't able to make it, but this past weekend was Grayson's memorial. This picture really drove things home; again. And it seems crazy that he won't be out there racing with us, always ready for a chat, or some good humor. I wasn't his best friend, but man, it's still a big loss for everyone that knew him.

No comments: