Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Just About Time

Holy cow, it's crazy how busy I've been over the past week and a half! Sorry for the lack of posts, but it's been a busy, busy time. Both with work, and more importantly, with the upcoming wedding. And would you look at that? It's already upon us, and the wedding is this week! But I think I can sneak in just enough time for a quick update;

Last week I picked up some bits and pieces from a couple friends, as I had promised to build up some wheels for them. I know, like I couldn't have picked a busier time to do it!? But I was definitely curious to see and build the one set, since they used the new deep section rims from Edge. JP wanted to use his wheels for the occasional time trial, but also for cross season. So we built the rear into a standard 24 hole 2-cross, but on the front upgraded to a beefier mountain bike hub (both from American Classic), that was still just 105g.

I really need to get a gram scale so I can weigh these things, but the quick and dirty weigh-in, had the rear wheel at about 780grams! Not too bad for a 68mm deep wheel! And they seem really stiff from the build, so I'm curious to see what JP thinks of the ride.

And while I was dropping off some wheels, I couldn't help but notice this fine parenting at JP's neighbors house. I'm not sure what it says... but it sure as hell seems strange to me, to put 8.5" x 11" glossy "head shots" of your kids, on the front door of your house. Ummmm...

Thanks to our very generous team sponsors over at Specialized, I picked up my shiny new, pimpy, white shoes! I've been desperately waiting for these, as my current shoes were very much on their last legs. And I've been curious to try the updated fit and design of the Specialized shoes. Unfortunately, I haven't had much time in them, with everything else going on, so I can't report much. Though so far they are comfy, light and stiff, like a road shoe should be, and most importantly - they look sweet.

In addition to the new shoes, we were lucky enough to get a new Toupe Saddle as well! Sadly, the saddle falls into the same category of the shoes; "it looks really sweet, but I don't have enough time on it to see if it really works". It definitely is light, has a pretty nice shape that should fit my back-side well (based of previous experience in saddle shapes) and it does what it's supposed to.

Strapping new things to my bike, and feet, is about as much "cycling" as I've gotten to do lately. The wedding stuff has taken way more time than I imagined, but that's alright, I have no doubt it will all be worth it!

Last night the family started rolling in, beginning with lots of Jessica's family, my parents, and one of my brothers. So it was off to Denver for the first group meal with everyone. Jessica and I also got to meet up with my dear friend Janine who made the trip out from Seattle with her family - so that was a lot of fun too! Hectic and crazy as expected, and I can only imagine how the rest of the week is going to go. Especially since I'm working all day, heading straight to tuxedo fittings, then straight to the rehearsal and rehearsal dinner, and then out with the guys for some bachelor party action!

It's likely to be a very good thing that I can sleep in tomorrow... I better make sure the camera batteries are charged!

No comments: