Friday, June 25, 2010

TGIF

The end of the fiscal year at work has been kicking my ass!

Summer is finally getting here, and staying, with a slight relief from the daily rain. First I had to get through The Rocky Mountain Omnium with ridiculous storms on the way out to Glenwood and literally a full day of rain on Saturday for the crit, including a hail storm at 5am. Overall, the racing was very "blah", but it was good to get out and see Harry, Danielle, and the ever-growing Nate. An evening storm cloud from a couple weeks ago;

This past weekend was pretty relaxing, and Jessica and I started a busy Saturday, with a short hike at Betasso with Tayler and Neo. "Senior Portraits" are always a must;


They were all-toungue afterwards, after the day was quick to heat up, and we had much more to do for the day!


I had a chance to treat myself a bit ago, and I never like to miss one of those chances! So I picked up the FSA Tensionometer that I've been lusting after for quite some time. I don't believe they're even making these anymore, their just selling through the ones that they made.

The link above has a great write-up on all the gory details of the little machine, if you're interested. It really is a sweet, sweet little device. Especially if you're into fun, overly designed tools such as this, and you take pride in particularly well-balanced spoke tensions. I love that this tensionometer functions without a million different charts, for each spoke that you use. Especially given the number of different types of spokes I tend to build with. I've built about 4 pairs of wheels with this meter now, and am really getting the hang of how it works, and how much change I need with the nipple, to get the measurement where I want it. Probably the coolest thing though, is the consistent repeatability of the measurements, compared to using the Wheelsmith or Park gauges. Expensive, but I love it... plus it's made with a carbon fiber body and jeweled dial movement that is shock, dust, and water proof.

Two of the pairs of wheels I built using the new tensionometer were a couple pairs of Edge 1.68 rims with Sapim CX-Rays and using the new Chris King road hubs.

Always a fan of King, I was excited to build up a couple sets of these hubs. As usual with King stuff, they were no-nonsense, simple, and beautiful. I was hoping for a slightly lighter bearing feel, but I'm likely just forgetting that Kings can be stiff till they break in after a few rides. Don't get me wrong, they were great! And the wheels, even with 20/24 spoke lacing, weighed in at 1,250g. Pretty awesome for a strong yet aero set of wheels.

Apparently never content with the amount of carbon fiber in my life, a new family member is about to join us!

No doubt... more details and pics coming soon!

No comments: